BBQ Chicken & Cheesy Grits
- 4 cups Chicken Broth, Low Sodium
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 cup Old Fashioned Grits
- 1 lb Chicken Breast (boneless, skinless, cubed)
- 1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 8 3/4 ozs Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- 2 stalks Green Onion (thinly sliced)
- Bring the chicken broth and garlic powder to a boil in a medium pot.
- Add the grits and cook uncovered for 18 to 20 minutes, or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, add the chicken to a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spread the chicken out so it isn't crowded. Cook for seven to eight minutes per side or until cooked through and browned. Add a splash of water as needed. Remove from the pan and shred with two forks.
- Add the chicken back to the pan along with the barbecue sauce. Toss until warmed through.
- Remove the grits from heat. Stir in the cheddar cheese and butter until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken over the cheesy grits. Top with green onions and enjoy!
LeftoversRefrigerate the chicken in an airtight container for up to three days. The grits are best served immediately but can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to four days.
Cooked ChickenSpeed things up by using leftover, cooked chicken. Toss in a nonstick pan with the barbecue sauce for five minutes or until warmed through.