Beef Kafta Casserole
- 1 lb Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup Parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 1/2 tbsps Lebanese 7 Spice Blend
- 1 1/2 tsps Sea Salt (divided)
- 3 Yellow Potato (medium-sized, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds)
- 3 Tomato (medium-sized, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds)
- 1 cup Red Onion (sliced into 1/4-inch thick semi-circles)
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 1/2 tbsps Tomato Paste
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
- Add the beef, onion, parsley, Lebanese 7 Spice and two-thirds of the salt to a large mixing bowl and mix until combined. Form the meat mixture into thin patties, 2 to 3 inches in diameter.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Brown the patties in batches, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain the excess drippings from the pan between batches.
- Arrange the browned kafta patties, potato, tomato and red onion slices in a baking dish in any pattern you’d like.
- In a small bowl combine the vegetable broth, tomato paste, remaining salt and black pepper, if using, and pour into the baking dish. Cover with foil or a lid.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Let the casserole cool slightly before dividing between bowls. Enjoy!
LeftoversRefrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.
More FlavorAdd fresh garlic to the meat mixture. Add additional Lebanese 7 Spice to the tomato sauce mixture.
No BeefUse ground lamb instead.
Serve it WithLebanese rice or a pita.
Red Onion1 cup of sliced red onion is roughly one medium-sized red onion.
Baking DishAn 8.5 x 11.5-inch baking dish was used for four servings.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 1341mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2261IU | Vitamin C: 60mg | Calcium: 68mg | Iron: 6mg