Braised Oxtail & Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 1/2 tbsps Avocado Oil
- 1 1/4 lbs Oxtail
- 1 tsp Sea Salt (divided)
- 3 Garlic (cloves, divided)
- 1 Carrot (chopped)
- 1 Yellow Onion (medium, roughly chopped)
- 1 stalk Celery (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 3 cups Water
- 1 1/2 tsps Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 stalks Green Onion (chopped)
- 1 Sweet Potato (peeled, cut into small cubes)
- 2 cups Kale Leaves (chopped)
- 1 1/4 pints Bone Broth
- Heat 2/3 of the oil in a Dutch oven, or similar pot, over medium-high heat. Pat the oxtails dry with a paper towel and season with half of the salt. Brown the oxtails on all sides then transfer to a plate.
- Roughly chop 2/3 of the garlic and add it to the pot along with the carrot, onion and celery. Cook the vegetables for 2 to 3 minutes then add the remaining salt and thyme and stir to combine. Add the water and the apple cider vinegar to the pot and scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add the browned oxtail to the pot and bring the liquid to a boil. Cover with the lid and reduce the heat to low. Continue to adjust the heat if needed to maintain a consistent simmer. Cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours until the oxtails are tender and the meat easily peels away from the bone. Add more water to the braising liquid if needed throughout the cooking process. Remove the oxtail from the pot and set aside to cool slightly.
- Strain the cooking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl or jar. Skim any fat from the strained braising liquid and set aside. Discard the solids.
- To the same pot, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Add the green onion and cook for 3 minutes. Mince the remaining garlic and add to the pot with the green onions. Cook for a minute more before adding the sweet potatoes and kale. Stir to combine and cook until the kale has wilted down. Add the broth and strained braising liquid to the pot and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, pull the oxtail meat from the bone. Roughly chop any large pieces of meat then transfer to the pot.
- Continue to cook the soup for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are very tender. Season with additional salt if needed.
- Divide between bowls and enjoy!
LeftoversRefrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.
Serving SizeOne serving is approximately 1 cup of soup.
Meal PrepThe oxtails can be braised ahead of time or use leftover meat and braising liquid from another meal.
More FlavorAdd black pepper or a bay leaf.
Braising LiquidUse beef or chicken broth for more flavor.
ConsistencyIf the soup is too thick, thin with additional broth until desired consistency is reached.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 394kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 21g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 1072mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 8421IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 108mg | Iron: 5mg