Cheesy Cabbage Rolls
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil (divided)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 3 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Tomato Paste (divided)
- 1 1/2 tsps Dried Basil (divided)
- 1 tsp Oregano (dried, divided)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- 6 cups Purple Cabbage (large, whole leaves, separated)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 ozs Mozzarella Cheese (shredded)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Heat half of the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook for two minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir for a minute. Add the ground beef and cook for eight minutes or until browned. Add 1/4 of the tomato paste, half of the basil, half of the oregano, salt, and pepper.
- While the beef is cooking, blanch the cabbage leaves. Fill a large shallow pot with water and bring it to a boil. Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice and set aside. One at a time, place each cabbage leaf into the boiling water for two minutes, or until soft enough to roll. Transfer to the ice bath until cooled. Set aside. Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves.
- In a small bowl combine the garlic powder, salt, and pepper with the remaining tomato paste, oil, basil, and oregano.
- Fill each cabbage leaf with approximately 1/3 to 1/2 cup of beef mixture. Fold in the sides of the cabbage leaf and roll it up. Set in a baking dish. Repeat until the mixture is used up.
- Top the cabbage rolls with the sauce and mozzarella cheese. Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
LeftoversRefrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days. Freeze for longer.
Serving SizeA 12 x 9-inch dish was used to make four servings. One serving is approximately two cabbage rolls.
Dairy-FreeUse a plant-based cheese that melts instead of mozzarella.
Additional FillingsAdd vegetables to the beef mixture like zucchini, carrot, bell peppers, or jalapenos.
Make it VeganUse crumbled tofu, tempeh, or lentils instead of beef.
Calories: 434kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 29g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 177mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 2117IU | Vitamin C: 84mg | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 5mg