Chickpea & Rice Soup
- 1/4 cup Brown Rice (dry)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 stalk Celery (chopped)
- 1 Carrot (medium, peeled and chopped)
- 3/4 cup Red Onion (chopped)
- 3 Garlic (large clove, minced)
- 1 1/2 tbsps Dried Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp Dried Dill
- 2 cups Chickpeas (cooked, rinsed)
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 Lemon (cut into wedges for serving, optional)
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Add the water to a pot over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion, and garlic to the pot and cook for eight to 10 minutes or until the carrot and celery start to soften. Add the parsley, salt, dill, and chickpeas and stir to combine. Cook for another one to two minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth to the pot and bring the soup to a gentle boil. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Transfer approximately 1/4 of the soup to a blender and blend until mostly smooth. Stir the soup puree back into the pot and add the cooked rice. Season the soup with additional salt if needed.
- Divide the soup between bowls and serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over top. Enjoy!
LeftoversRefrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days.
Serving SizeOne serving is approximately equal to 1 1/2 cups of soup.
More FlavorAdd other dried herbs and spices like oregano, paprika, chives, and/or black pepper.
Additional ToppingsExtra virgin olive oil, fresh or dried parsley, and/or red pepper flakes
More VegetablesAdd zucchini, peas, bell pepper, spinach, or kale.
No Brown RiceUse white rice or quinoa instead.
No ChickpeasUse white beans or lentils instead.
Serving: 3g | Calories: 286kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1306mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 4214IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 4mg