Cuban Shredded Beef
- 2 lbs Flank Steak (cut into large pieces)
- 6 cups Water
- 1 tsp Sea Salt (divided)
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Orange Bell Pepper (sliced)
- 1 Yellow Onion (medium, chopped)
- 5 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1/3 cup White Cooking Wine
- 2 tsps Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Oregano (dried)
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 1/2 cups Crushed Tomatoes
- Place the steak in a large dutch oven and cover with water and add half the salt. Cover and bring to a low boil over medium heat. Simmer over medium-low heat for two hours, until softened. Remove the steak using a slotted spoon and shred with two forks. Set aside.
- Discard the water from the pot and wipe it clean. Turn the heat to medium and add the oil. Add the peppers and onions and sauté for about ten minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for one minute, until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the wine. Cook until reduced, about five minutes. Add the smoked paprika, oregano, cumin, and remaining salt. Cook for one minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the meat. Cook for ten minutes or until warmed through.
- Divide evenly between bowls and enjoy!
LeftoversRefrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.
Serving SizeOne serving is equal to about one cup.
No WineUse beef, chicken, or vegetable broth instead.
Serve it WithServe over rice, in wraps, taco shells, or in burritos.