Hamburger Barley Soup
- 1 1/2 lbs Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Yellow Onion (chopped, medium size)
- 2 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 tsp Thyme (dried)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- 3 1/2 cups Diced Tomatoes (from the can, undrained)
- 4 cups Beef Broth
- 1/2 cup Pearl Barley
- 2 Carrot (large, sliced)
- 4 stalks Celery (sliced)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the beef and onion and cook, stirring often until the beef is no longer pink and the onion is soft, about eight minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for one minute, until fragrant. Pour in the tomatoes (with their juices), broth and barley. Cover and bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, until the barley is just cooked.
- Add in the carrots and celery and cook for another 10 minutes, until the veggies are just fork tender. Remove from the heat. Divide into bowls and enjoy!
Leftovers: Store in the fridge for up to three days, or freeze for longer. Serving Size: One serving is approximately two cups. Gluten-Free: Omit the barley. More Flavor: Add additional spices while cooking such as paprika, chili powder, and/or cayenne. Additional Toppings: Top with chopped parsley.
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 55mg | Sodium: 349mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3094IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 4mg