Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burritos
- 6 Sweet Potato (large, peeled and sliced)
- 2 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Yellow Onion (medium, diced)
- 4 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- 4 cups Black Beans (cooked, from the can)
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsps Cumin
- 3 tbsps Tamari
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt (or more to taste)
- 10 Brown Rice (or any) Tortilla (11 inches)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Place sweet potatoes in a steamer over boiling water and cover. Let steam for 7 minutes, or until tender. Mash with a potato masher.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet and saute the onion and garlic until soft. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add black beans and mash with a potato masher. Mix in the sauteed onion and garlic, corn, bell pepper, water, mustard, cumin and tamari until thoroughly combined. Season with salt as needed.
- Divide the mashed sweet potato and black bean mixture evenly between the tortillas and fold into burritos.
- If eating immediately, heat the burritos in the oven at 350ºF (177ºC) for 10 to 12 minutes or until warmed through. Wrap the remaining burritos in foil and freeze in a freezer-safe bag. See notes section for instructions on how to reheat.
Reheating in the OvenHeat in the oven at 350ºF (177ºC) for 30 minutes from frozen (or less if already defrosted), then unwrap and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes for a crispy wrap (optional).
Reheating in the MicrowaveRemove foil from defrosted burritos and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes (times will vary depending on the power of your microwave).
Make it SpicyAdd more chilli powder, cayenne pepper, hot sauce and/or sliced jalapeno.
Serve it WithGreek yogurt, sour cream, feta cheese, tomatoes, avocado and/or salsa.
No Brown Rice TortillasUse corn or whole wheat tortillas instead.
Less WorkUse refried beans, or process the beans in a food processor.