One Pot Creamy Mushroom Orzo
- 2 cups Water
- 16 Cremini Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt (divided)
- 2 1/2 cups Orzo (dry)
- 1 pint Unsweetened Rice Milk
- 12 ozs Chicken Breast, Cooked (cubed)
- 2 cups Fresh Peas (or frozen)
- 1 cup Basil Leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano (grated)
- 1/2 Lemon (juiced)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat a splash of the water over medium-high heat. Cook the mushrooms until soft, about five to eight minutes, adding more water as needed to prevent sticking. Season with 1/3 of the salt.
- Add the orzo, rice milk, chicken, peas, and the remaining water and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes or until the orzo is al dente. Add a splash of rice milk if more liquid is needed.
- Stir in the basil and parmigiano reggiano. Divide into bowls and squeeze lemon juice overtop to taste. Enjoy!
LeftoversRefrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.
Serving SizeOne serving equals approximately one to 1 1/2 cups.
Gluten-FreeUse brown rice pasta instead of orzo and adjust the water ratio and cooking time accordingly.
More FlavorSauté the mushrooms with minced garlic in oil instead of water.
Additional ToppingsRed pepper flakes, more parmigiano reggiano.
Make it VeganUse marinated tempeh, tofu, edamame, or black beans instead of chicken. Use nutritional yeast instead of parmigiano reggiano.
No Rice MilkUse almond milk, dairy milk, oat milk, or coconut milk instead.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 493mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 958IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 186mg | Iron: 3mg