Pesto Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 8 ozs Chicken Breast
- 1/2 cup Quinoa (dry, uncooked)
- 4 Yellow Bell Pepper (large)
- 2 tbsps Water
- 2 stalks Green Onion
- 1/2 cup Pesto
- 3 tbsps Lemon Juice
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer, add chicken and cover. Let simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove chicken and shred into pieces using two forks.
- While your chicken cooks, cook your quinoa according to the directions on the package. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF (191ºC).
- Cut the tops off of the peppers and discard the seeds and ribs. Place peppers upside down in baking dish and add water. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- While peppers are baking, combine the cooked quinoa, shredded chicken, green onion, pesto, lemon juice and sea salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Remove the peppers from the oven. Carefully remove the foil and turn right-side up. Drain any excess water from the baking dish.
- With the peppers sitting upright, spoon equal amounts of the pesto chicken filling into each. Cover with foil again, then bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until filling is warmed through and peppers are very tender.
- Remove the stuffed peppers from the oven and enjoy!
Additional ToppingsParmesan cheese, nutritional yeast, fresh herbs, a pinch of red chili flakes, or more pesto.
Tipsy Bell PeppersIf your bell peppers are tipsy and do not stand upright on their own, try slicing the bottom of them to create a flat surface.
More CarbsServe over a bed of rice or quinoa.
Make it VegetarianSwap out the chicken for cooked lentils.