Potato Crusted Pork Casserole
- 2 1/4 lbs Lean Ground Pork
- 5 Yellow Onion (medium, halved and thinly sliced)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- 4 Garlic (cloves, roughly chopped)
- 1 cup Parsley (finely chopped)
- 5 Yellow Potato (medium, thinly sliced)
- 3 cups Beef Broth (plus more if necessary)
- With the rack placed in the middle position, preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet or pot over medium heat. Add the pork and onions, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and the onions are tender. Discard the juices, if needed, and mix in the garlic and the parsley. Set aside.
- In a large baking dish, arrange the potatoes in a circle on the bottom of the pan, overlapping them to form a crust and cover the bottom completely. Place the meat and onion mixture on top of the potatoes in an even layer. Cover with the remaining potatoes, forming a crust.
- Gently add the broth. Press lightly to ensure just the tops of the potatoes are covered. If needed, add more broth to achieve this. Place the dish on a baking sheet. Cover with a lid or foil and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden.
- Divide between plates and enjoy!
LeftoversRefrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days. Freeze individual portions for up to three months.
Freezer MealAllow the baked dish to cool. Cover in plastic wrap and then tin foil to prevent freezer burn. Freeze for up to one month. Let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and to room temperature while the oven is preheating. Remove the plastic wrap and the foil. Cook for 45 minutes or until warmed through.
Serving SizeA 13 x 9-inch baking dish was used to make eight servings.
More FlavorAdd thyme, rosemary, celery, carrots and/or fennel.
Additional ToppingsDijon mustard and sea salt to serve.
No PorkTry ground chicken, turkey, bison, or beef.