Red Lentil Bolognese Sauce
- 1/4 Yellow Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic (clove, minced)
- 2 tbsps Water
- 3/4 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 cup Dry Red Lentils (rinsed)
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 cups Bone Broth
- 1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar (divided)
- In a pot over medium heat, add the onion, garlic and water. Cook until the onion begins to soften and the water evaporates. Add the oregano, salt and red pepper flakes and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the lentils and tomato paste. Add the vegetable broth, tomato sauce and half of the balsamic vinegar and stir to mix well. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils are very tender.
- Stir in the remaining balsamic vinegar and continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more. Season with additional salt if needed and enjoy.
LeftoversRefrigerate in an airtight container for up to five days.
Serving SizeOne serving is approximately 1 cup of sauce.
More FlavorUse your favorite marinara sauce instead of tomato sauce. Add a drizzle of honey or freshly chopped basil or oregano at the end.
Additional ToppingsTop with extra red pepper flakes, dried or fresh oregano or nutritional yeast.
How to UseServe over veggie noodles, pasta noodles or dip fresh bread in it.
Serving: 2g | Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 310mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 442IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 6mg