Southern Shrimp & Grits
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 1/2 cups Plain Coconut Milk (from the carton)
- 1 tsp Sea Salt (divided)
- 3/4 cup Old Fashioned Grits (uncooked)
- 3 slices Bacon (chopped)
- 1 lb Shrimp (peeled, deveined)
- 1/2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
- 3 stalks Green Onion (sliced)
- In a pot, bring the water and milk to a boil. Add half of the salt and slowly whisk in the grits. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for about 15 minutes, or until thickened. Add more water as needed. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add in the chopped bacon and cook for 6 to 10 minutes or until crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Reserve a few tablespoons of the bacon fat and return to medium-high heat. Add the shrimp, cajun seasoning and remaining salt. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the shrimp turns pink.
- Divide the grits into bowls and top with the shrimp, bacon and green onions. Enjoy!
LeftoversRefrigerate in an airtight container for up to three days.
Serving SizeOne serving equals approximately one cup of grits and 6 shrimp.
More FlavorUse broth instead of water. Add butter and/or cheddar cheese to the grits.