Whole Chicken & Broth
- 4 lbs Whole Roasting Chicken
- 2 tbsps Dry Sherry
- 2 tsps Sea Salt (divided)
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 6 cups Water
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker. Drizzle dry sherry over top and season with half the salt. Cook on low for approximately 6 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- Enjoy immediately, and store any leftover meat for future use. Return the bones to the slow cooker and add the apple cider vinegar, remaining salt and water. Feel free to add any veggie scraps on hand.
- Cook for at least 12 hours on low. After 12 hours, strain the broth through a strainer or mesh sack. Freeze broth until ready to use.
LeftoversRefrigerate the chicken in an airtight container for up to three days. Refrigerate the broth for up to four days or freeze for up to three months.
More FlavorAdd onion, garlic, herbs, carrot and celery.
Less FatOnce the broth cools, remove the layer of fat that forms on the top and discard or save it for future cooking.
Serving: 12g | Calories: 172kcal | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 98mg | Sodium: 526mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 68IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 2mg